Naming 2000 as the Year of the Humane Child is the first step, but what matters most is what we do during this year, and in the years to follow. Here are some guidelines:
- Offer humane education programs to schools.
- Teach a Sunday school class and draw the connections between religion and compassion.
- Create an after-school class in your home for high school students.
- If you are a parent you can sponsor the school compassion club, or join the PTA and speak up.
- If you are not a parent you can still provide alternatives to dissection to the biology department, or offer vegan recipes to the food service department.
- Arrange a meeting with the health educator at your local school and offer to speak about healthy nutrition or provide a cooking class.
- Give humane education books to school and local libraries, and offer to give talks on humane issues.
- Activists and teachers: Learn how to be a humane educator.